MY EXPERT INSTALLER
A1. All smoke alarms consist of two basic parts: a sensor to detect the smoke and a very loud electronic horn, the two main types are photoelectric and ionization detectors
A2. The most common reason your smoke alarm keeps chirping and beeping is that the battery is low. When your smoke alarm keeps chirping, replace the battery immediately.
A3. Are you sure it’s the smoke alarm as numbers of items in the house do make the same noise? Your “new” batteries may be dead, you should check with another battery. If these both fail please call our office as you might need a new alarm.
A4. For a mains smoke alarms should be replaced after 10 years. This is because the sensors in the smoke alarms become less sensitive. The date will be stamped on the smoke alarm.
A5. You should get a electrician installs and replace mains powered smoke alarms.
A6. The 9V alkaline batteries last 12-18 months. Lithium batteries will usually last 5x longer than their alkaline counterparts, the lifetime of your battery depends on how often the alarms are tested or activated
A7. Optical smoke alarms go in hallways living rooms, dining room and bedrooms, these are effective at detecting larger particles of smoke from slow-burning, and smouldering fires Ionisation alarms are good for all bedrooms as they detect small particles of smoke produced by fast flaming fires. Heat alarms are for kitchens, garages and attic these can detect an increase in temperature and are insensitive to smoke.
A8. After installation of alarm, after any electrical work and once a month
A9. Either inside each bedroom or within 5M of the bedroom door, measured along the path of the corridor. Always in the room where the appliance is located within 1-3 meters of the appliance
A10. Symptoms of mild carbon exposure can include: slight headache, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and flu-like symptoms. Symptoms of medium carbon monoxide exposure can include: throbbing headache, drowsiness, confusion, and fast heart rate. Symptoms of high exposure to carbon monoxide can include: convulsions, unconsciousness, and heart & lung failure. Exposure can lead to brain damage and death.